Monday, February 25, 2013

I won the tire lottery!

No pics (yet) - at least none until I start bringing the tires home, but I finally got a price from the bus mechanic for the "new to me" tires for Big Red. These will be 9.00x20 tires, which are a bit bigger than the 8.25x20's it currently has. Now, before I tell you how much I'm going to pay for the tires, I want to let you know how expensive these tires can be. Check out this website. That's anywhere from $175 to $239 per tire, not to mention shipping on something that weighs a couple hundred pounds - each. So, on the low end, the tires would be just over $1000 and on the high end $1500.

Now that I've  spelled out the possible tire costs, here's what I'm going to pay for my tires... All seven of them (4 rear tires and 3 front - one spare even!)... A whopping $35! Yup - $5 each! Seems he was considering giving me the tires, but the school (remember - they're coming from a school bus) needs a paper trail for the tires, rather than just having them "disappear." The reason is that they no longer have any buses that take 9.00x20 tires... So, they came up with a token cost of $5 per tire. Like I said - almost like winning the tire lottery!

No comments:

Post a Comment