Saturday, February 9, 2013

The looonnng wait

One story about Big Red that dates back to buying in August that I haven't mentioned yet is finally going to begin to be resolved - the title.

When I bought Big Red, it didn't have a title. I've read several stories that say buying a vehicle without a title is a massive headache and not worth the effort of dealing with the DMV, going through all the paperwork and expense. The good news, in this case, is that the seller of my truck was willing to title it in North Dakota, where he owned it. It is apparently much easier there than in Minnesota to title a vehicle with just a bill of sale. All he needed was a bill of sale from the previous owner, who he had kept in touch with.

The first snag in this road was the the previous owner and the gentleman who I bought Big Red from had a hard time getting together, and that took nearly three weeks. They finally got all the paperwork together and submitted it to the DMV. Then the next snag. You might have heard about this big oil boom going on in western North Dakota. It's really quite amazing. Well, the North Dakota DMV has been overwhelmed by all the companies out there registering vehicles and told the seller he would have to wait "at least three months" for the title for Big Red. So, we've kept in touch, and four months (early December) later, nothing. January rolls around and, nothing.

Finally - yesterday I got this in a text from him:

Title, sweet title!
Yup, it finally came. I was starting to have doubts. I mean, six months to get a title? Crazy...

No comments:

Post a Comment