Tuesday, February 5, 2013

IHC's all over!

Last week I noted that I sent off a request for a quote on having my hood ornament re-chromed. Well, I knew that it would come back high, and it did. Honestly, I thought it would be higher. Looking over the Finishing Touch website, they note that several of their items have been featured on cars shown at the famous Pebble Beach car show. Knowing that, I knew I wouldn't be able to afford the cost of the quote, and that is certainly the case - it came back at $600. Now to decide on if I need to find a different chromer, or save and wait and have it done by this top end place...

Now the title of today's blog entry. It's the "red car syndrome," or as I learned, scientifically, it's the "Baader-Meinhoff Phenomenon." The old, you buy a red car, and all you see is red cars. In other words, I'm suddenly seeing International trucks everywhere. Okay, everywhere might be an overstatement, but for a truck that for all practical purposes hasn't been built for almost 33 years (I'm excluding the current Navistar heavy haulers, of course, and their "pick-up," which was a mid 2000's novelty - "we're bigger than a Hummer!"), there are quite a few folks I've run into (or heard about) who have them.

It started back in August when school started back up, and I had an in-service. One of the other bus drivers said he collects and fixes IHC's and to give him a call if I had any questions, or needed any parts. They, my wife found out that the audiologist where she works has a KB-8. Now to last week, and I ran into a guy in my town who has a 1960's International truck. Finally, last night, I was on a call with my father, and he was showing off photos of Big Red at his wood workers meeting, and ran into a guy who had a KB-6 and might have spare parts!

Fun to find others who enjoy the same things. Oh, and that International "pick-up" from the mid 2000's? Yeah, it was a beast:

Navistar's "International CXT"

No comments:

Post a Comment