Sunday, August 12, 2012

Big Red

"The truck" got a new name today. My old F250 was called "Little Grey," after the character on Grey's Anatomy. Since "the truck" replaced "Little Grey," it makes sense that "the truck" gets a color name. Hence, "Big Red" was born today...

Anyway, I've been driving bus the last couple days since Big Red showed up at our house, and I've been thinking about everything that's good or surprising about the the truck, and everything that is bad, or needs work. I'll definitely say that the good side of the list far outweighs the bad side. I came up with the following:


The pro’s:
·         Unbelievably straight
·         Very complete *
·         Hardly any dents
·         5 speed transmission
·         The engine cranked with just a battery charger connected to it, so I figure that it will get going with just a new battery and plugs
·         The glass is all in good shape, with only a small corner crack on the front passenger side windshield
·          
The con’s
·         Bad master cylinder
·         The grain box is in worse shape than I expected
·         The driver’s side hood cowling is in bad shape **
·         It’s taller than the guy told me it was ***
·         The cab floor – it’s the only “bad” metal on the truck and needs to be patched at best, and replaced at worst


*missing parts:
·         Battery compartment cover below drivers door
·         Four pieces of chrome
o   Two grill ribs
o   Bottom pieces on each side of hood
**For as good a shape as the metal is, the driver’s side cowling has some issues. While I’m sure it’s fixable for a qualified body shop, I wonder if a replacement could be found for less money.
***I asked three times – the first, he said it was 7’ tall, the second, he said it was just under 7’, the last he said that he re-measured at just under 7’. Why does this matter? My garage door is 7’. How tall is the truck? 7’2”.

No comments:

Post a Comment