Friday, August 24, 2012

It does? We don't do chrome...

The chrome and stainless steel accent pieces on Big Red are going to all come off before winter hits, and some need to be seriously cleaned or at worst, re-plated. With that in mind, I was surfing the web last night looking for chrome plating shops in Minnesota - and found a local body shop that had chrome plating listed as a service on their website. Since I am working essentially a double shift today, and I'm not planning to do anything on the truck, I stopped at the shop to ask about their services. When I told the man at the main desk why I was there and how I found them (the chrome listing on their website), he just looked at me and said, "it does? We don't do chrome." Sigh...

At least he was able to give me a lead to a local metal worker who may be able to help. I've left a message with him, so we'll see what comes of that.

I'm also excited about a big day planned tomorrow. Billy is coming over early and we're going to haul the grain box steel to the scrapper, remove the rest of the wood from the flatbed with his Sawzall and get started on the brakes. If there's time, we may hit a junk yard north of us and near the scrap metal place that supposedly has a couple KB series trucks that may produce a spare part (hopefully a straight hood?) or two.

Since I don't like to put up blog posts without a picture or video, here's one my Father sent me on the chroming process from RidesWithChuck - a car restoration YouTuber from the Chicago area. It's long, but if you have any interest in the process, it's very interesting:


No comments:

Post a Comment